Organic search engine optimization has changed over the years; there is no doubt about it. And today, it is more competitive than ever. Now social media is peeking around the corner ( more like running full speed around the corner actually) so how do these two types of internet marketing solutions work together?
With this question in mind, I have thrown together these bullet points. Take a look and let me know what you think.
How Social Media Helps SEO
- Social media sites rank for targeted branded and non-branded terms helping secure a larger search space.
- When blog content is pushed out through social media it gets exposure & stimulates organic linking.
- Content must be generated for social media. Fresh content greatly benefits search.
- Twitter content is indexed and shown in Google real time search.
- The Twitter search engine is used by millions. Tweets allow you to optimize keywords for that engine.
- YouTube videos rank in Google general search and are important for optimizing the video search space.
- Social media sites drive traffic!
But that’s not all; social media is pretty powerful on its own. Here are some reasons why I think it’s important:
- Build an online community of loyal users
- Get customer mindshare
- Strengthen brand identity
- Create your own media channel
- Get important demographic information
- Watch the size of your reach grow exponentially with time
- Have a presence in the world’s largest online communities
- Grow your online presence
- Make your brand likable and positive
- Watch your community do your marketing for you
- Manage your brand identity by responding to customer complaints
- Get people talking about your products, announcements and content
- Become the source of your own news
- Optimize your brand for the millions of users/searchers on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook
So this is just a quick list. I’m sure there is plenty we can add to it. So you tell me, what did I forget? Why is social media important to search engine optimization? And why is it important on its own?