Facebook has announced a new look for their friend profiles and business pages. This bold move was announced by Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg in an exclusive “60 Minutes” interview on December 5th, 2010.
Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook, Part 2 “60 Minutes” Interview
Here is a list of the items that will be changing on personal profiles.
- An about me section added to the top of the page.
- A row of the most recently tagged photos of yours will appear at the top of the page.
- There are no more tabs. You will now need to use the links under your profile picture.
- The education and work section now allows you to add projects you worked on and classes you took. You can also add co-workers and classmates.
- Your interests will now be much more visible.
- The options to display sports has now been added.
- You can now group friends by relationships, such as best friends or buddies.
Facebook Pages New Design
Facebook pages are getting a new design that will significantly benefit those companies that are not purely online. According to Mashable, “The new Pages design includes check-ins, profile information (which includes some basic information about the page and the Wall postings below it), a narrower left column and more.” Also, the new pages will now display the tabs only on the left-hand side.
Thoughts on the Changes
Many of these new changes to Facebook pages and profiles are questionable. Moving the primary navigation, making all personal information more front and center and highlighting recent photos with intense focus will significantly alter the way people interact with the website. Ultimately, these changes put a greater emphasis on content, allowing it to be even more prominent on the site. Also, content that relates to you which is posted by friends will have a more significant effect on your Facebook presence. It will be essential to make sure that all the photos you are tagged in positively represent you. For businesses, the new focus on Facebook places will actively entice enterprises to utilize the feature. If you haven’t signed up for Facebook places yet, now is an excellent time to get going.
All in all, these are substantial changes. I for one always wonder, is Facebook making these changes to improve the site? Or are these changes and new ideas that are continually being tested and implemented just marketing stunts to keep us excited? Either way, it’s working, cheers to them I guess.
What do you think of the new Facebook updates? Tell us below.